Gas SafetyView our Gas Safety Tips
Don’t turn electrical switches on or off, or use a flashlight or telephone, because an electrical spark could ignite the gas and cause an explosion.
If you still smell gas around the appliance after turning it off and ventilating the room, do not relight it. Call your gas company for help.
If the gas odor is strong and you think there is a leak, leave immediately. Go to a neighbor’s home and phone your gas company. Do not return to your house until it is safe.
To prevent accidents:
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions with all appliances
- Have your appliances installed, serviced and repaired by professionals
- Keep chimney flues and vents for appliances clean and in good condition
Keep areas around your gas water heater and furnace clean and free of flammables. (Ex: Do not store gasoline cans nearby, fumes from cans could ignite by pilot light.)
- Teach family members what to do if they smell gas
Let everyone in your family smell natural gas by briefly turning on an unlit burner then turning it completely off. Tell them that this is the warning smell of a GAS LEAK
Teach small children to stay away from the gas range and all gas-burning appliances. Don’t let children swing from or play with pipes leading to water heaters or ranges.
Practice safety drills for getting the family out of the house at night in case of a gas emergency.