Answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions


How can I sign up for services?

Application for new service – Come in our office located at 1300 North U.S. 45 By-Pass, Trenton, TN 38382

For natural gas customers – Come in and fill out the application form. We do require a $350 service application fee to be paid at the time application is made which includes the meter connection for a single residential dwelling an EFV (Excess Flow Valve) will be installed. All footage will be billed at $5.00 per foot.

For Propane customers – Come in and fill out the application form. We do require a $350.00 service application fee to be paid at the time application is made. The Service application fee includes meter connection, tank set, and up to 75 feet of service line. Additional service line footage is billed at $5.00 per foot.

Propane customers are billed a monthly tank rental of $5.40 plus all applicable sales tax. Gibson County Utility District can only offer propane services for tanks owned by Gibson County Utility District.

Where can I pay my bill?

Our office is located at 1300 North U.S. 45 By-Pass in Trenton. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. We have a drive thru window for your convenience and an after hours payment drop box at the drive thru.

If mailing your bill, please mail to – Gibson County Utility District, P.O. Box 350, Trenton, TN 38382.

Can I drop off my payments?

Drop payment boxes are available for your convenience at the following locations:

  • Trenton – Food Rite (2 locations)
  • Milan – Bank of Milan
  • Medina – Bank of Milan, Medina Branch
  • Centennial Bank, Medina
  • Bradford – Bradford Best Way Grocery
  • Dyer – Food Rite
  • Rutherford – Hester Drugs
  • Kenton – Food Rite
  • Gibson – Gibson City Hall
How can I tell the difference between a credit and a charge to my bill?

A credit has a minus sign before the amount. (example -$34.00)

When is my bill due? Will I get a second notice of payment due?

Gibson County Utility District no longer sends late notices or second notice of billing. While due dates vary somewhat from month to month the following is an example of due dates depending on your location:

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 6.04.43 PM

When are late charges applied?

Late charges are applied to past due bills the day after your due date. Disconnection occurs on the 10th day after the due date.

What happens when a customer is disconnected for nonpayment?

The meter is “locked out” by authorized GCUD personnel. GCUD personnel are not required to inform the customer and are not allowed to take payments in the field.

How and when is service reconnected?

It is the customer’s responsibility to come in to our office and pay the entire past due amount and a reconnection fee of $75, any customer paying the reconnect fee after the cut off date will be reconnected within two (2) business days from the date of payment.

What is your return check policy?

Return check fee: $30.00

If we receive two consecutive return checks or bank drafts, no more checks will be accepted.

Customer Contract

If you have gas service available and want to have it turned on in your name; you will be required to fill out a customer contract. All customers are required to complete a customer contract before service will be connected or transferred. Please have your driver’s license number, social security number, and other billing information available when completing the form. If renting, we require the owner’s name and phone number. We also request a list of gas appliances. Photo ID will be needed for verification purposes.

The connection or transfer fee is $75.00, non-refundable.

How can I get natural gas on my road?

The following represents the Gas Main Extension Policy for Gibson County Utility District as approved by the Board of Commissioners on 04-26-2005. All main extensions are subject to economic limitations. Due to budget factors and installation schedules extensions may be deferred until the next fiscal year.

Policy Statement

GCUD establishes this policy stating that natural gas mains will be extended when the following guidelines have been met:

1. A petition will be circulated, usually by an interested party, in the potential new service area.

2. This survey will be measured and verified by GCUD personnel.

3. At least twenty (20) meters per mile (one meter per 250 feet) will be the criteria to extend a natural gas main into the area surveyed unless:
The nature of the area dictates that potential growth, without a doubt, will insure the twenty (20) meters per mile criteria, within a reasonable period of time.

4. When this criteria has been met, a certified letter will be sent to all parties that signed the petition to inform them to pay their $350 connection fee at the GCUD office.
a. All footage will be billed at $5.00 per foot.
b. When a service line serving only one residential customer is installed or replaced, Section 192.383 requires the District to an excess flow valve on that service line. Upon request, our system will install an excess flow valve meeting the performance standards set forth in Section 192.381.
c. Any excess footage charges totaling over $300 may be financed for up to 12 months at no interest.
d. Any additional work after the initial installation of the service line will be billed at $15 per foot.

5. If there are not enough customers to justify the length of the natural gas main required, the customer(s) have the option to pay $15.00 per foot to extend the main to their property line.

6. When 100% of the parties have paid their connection fee the main extension will be scheduled for installation.

7. This policy allows a Church to be considered as one residential customer or one meter.

8. This policy will be reviewed annually by Management.

What are my payment options?

Besides offering the budget pay plan we also offer payment by bank draft, our customer service representatives would be glad to set up this service for you. Please call our office for more details. We also accept all major credit cards and you can make the payment by calling 877-406-4405. You will need your gas customer number and pin number. Both numbers are provided on your bill each month. The newest form of payment is online using GCUD’s Secure Electronic Payment! – Pay Your Bill Online. *We do not charge an additional fee when using credit cards or online payments.

Broken or removed lock

First, the charge for such unlawful action is $300. The gas meter at your house is property of Gibson County Utility District. It is a criminal offense to tamper in any way with G.C.U.D property. Also any person violating Tennessee laws regarding this matter is liable civilly for damages up to three times of the total cost of repair, attorney fees, etc. This unlawful action includes the turning of the gas valve at the meter. G.C.U.D is required by the Tennessee Regulator Authority to “lock out” any valves turned to the off position. If the valve is locked out, a reconnection fee will apply before service will be restored.